Thursday, September 10, 2009

"It's Not About the Technology" by Kelly Hines

In the post to Mrs. Hines I stated, "I think you are absolutely right. A teacher must be able to teach adequately before he or she can use any type of technology. By me being a student, I have ran across teachers who can't teach, but that teacher wants to use power-points, computer programs, and ect. As a teacher I feel he or she must know every student's need and be able to teach that student with or without technology."

It was so ironic to have started on this assignment today. I felt this way before I actually read the article. One professor I have is a prime example of this. She made an elaborate power-point about the lesson for today. After the lecture, she gave an assignment. I go up to ask a question and she says" It was in the power-point go on my web site a get it." I was in amazement. What kind of educator doesn't like questions. Wow!!!!! We do need a new and better breed of educators, not better power-points.

2 comments:

  1. When my son was in college, he had the same experience. He questioned an interpretation that historians often use to explain the opening of the western part of the United States. The teacher reprimanded him for his question as said "We haven't gotten to that part of the course yet."

    What does it take to be a good teacher. One thing is a belief that a question is FAR more important than the answer.

    But I do get exasperated when a student in my class (actually there were 5 or 6) comments in the last class in Week 3 that he/she did not know that a presentation was due in Week 4. So I said: "Yes, it's in the syllabus, I've talked about it several times, it's on the class calendar, and it's on the list of projects in the syllabus. In addition, there is a movie showing you how to do the presentation in which I tell you when it's due."

    You will encounter students that don't listen, don't read your assignments, and don't care. That will make you unhappy, I predict.

    But you are absolutely correct when you say that we need to e able to teach with or without technology.

    A very thoughtful post. Keep thinking! And keep asking questions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your reflection on my post. I loved your insights and willingness to ask questions. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete